Margaret Throsby is one of Australia’s most prominent and respected broadcasters with a groundbreaking career that spans both radio and television. Currently Margaret presents Mornings on ABC Classic FM and in 2004 celebrated her 10th anniversary on the ABC’s national classical music radio network.
Margaret's association with the ABC began when she joined the corporation’s announcing staff in 1967. Eleven years later in 1978, television viewers across Australia witnessed a broadcasting first when Margaret became the first woman to present the ABC’s National News.
In a career as diverse as it is successful, Margaret has presented a variety of music and current affairs programs. One of the most significant of these was her consistently high rating morning program The Margaret Throsby Show on ABC's Radio 2BL.
Accolades for her achievements include:
- Member of the Order of Australia
- Variety Club of Australia's radio Award
- Two Avion Awards for the best in the world in-flight programs (Qantas)
- The Golden Gavel Award presented by the Law Society of NSW for "Excellence in Legal Reporting"
- The Children's Week Award for Services to Children - Media Award
- Rostrum Speaker of the Year
The cornerstone of her current program on ABC Classic FM is the Morning Interview, a one-hour interview that draws out the fascinating connections between music and the lives of her guests.
In ten years of insigfhtul and revealing conversation, Margaret Throsby has interviewed over 2000 guests covering every field of human achievement and endeavour. Today her program remains as popular as ever, an inimitable and celebrated part of Australian radio.